Grated Summer Squash Salad: A New Favorite
Summertime eating is the best! We’ve been enjoying fresh vegetables from our garden and from our farm share. And I’ve been swimming in zucchini and yellow squash, so I came up with this simple, pretty and very tasty summer squash salad. I’ve tried it with zucchini and with yellow squash, as well as a variety of types of summer squash. Use what you have or what you like best! Feel free to call it zucchini salad, or anything else.
Everything about this yellow squash salad screams summer and fresh. Each vegetable and the basil came from either my backyard or from our community supported agriculture (CSA). We get a big bag of beautiful fresh produce and flowers each week from Dayspring Farm. It feels like I’m getting a present even though I paid for it.
If you’re entertaining this summer or need to bring a dish to a party, this lemony summer squash salad is a good one. And if you need several options, here’s a roundup of more than 20 healthy side dishes for summer potlucks.
The dressing of lemon juice and olive oil really let the freshness of the vegetables shine.
Adding the Parmesan cheese and toasted pistachios gives this summer squash salad a little more heartiness and the perfect amount of crunch.
Lemony Grated Summer Squash Salad Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini or yellow squash (about 40 ounces untrimmed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (about 1/2 ounce)
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Grate the squash using a food processor or a box grater. Place the grated squash in a colander and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix the squash and salt together and leave to drain for 30 - 45 minutes. Once drained, remove the remaining liquid by pressing the squash between several layers of paper towels. Then place the squash in a large salad or mixing bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, red onion and fresh basil to the bowl and mix.
- To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together, adding the olive oil last. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and the toasted pistachios before serving.
Cheers to delicious, healthy summer eating!
I'm Jill, and I believe simple changes in your mindset and health habits can bring life-changing rewards. And I don't believe in willpower. It's waaaay overrated. As a food-loving registered dietitian nutritionist, certified diabetes care and education specialist and certified health and wellness coach, I've helped thousands of people solve their food and nutrition problems. If you're looking for a better way to master this whole healthy eating/healthy living thing or if you're trying to prevent or manage diabetes or heart problems, you'll find plenty of resources right here.
Leave a Reply
Welcome to my Blog
Hi there! I'm Jill, a nutrition & diabetes expert and the author of 4 books.
I believe simple changes in health habits can bring you life-changing rewards.
And I believe willpower is way overrated.
Right here is where you can discover the mindset and habits to stick with healthy lifestyle choices most of the time - and drop the guilt when you don't.