Healthy Eating Tip: Practice Portion Control
In honor of National Nutrition Month®, my colleague Lisa Young shares 7 tips to help you savor the flavor of eating right.
- Practice portion control and eat slowly. One of the best ways to “savor the flavor” is to chew our food well instead of shoveling it in. This will not only help us eat less, but we will be able to actually taste and enjoy what we are eating.
- Include fruits and vegetables at each meal. Sprinkle berries into your yogurt, add a colorful green salad to your lunch, and include vegetables with your dinner.
- Eat a variety of foods from each food group. Sorry Paleo lovers, but it really is best to include foods from all the food groups.
- Aim for color!! Choosing a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables is best, as different antioxidants exist in the different color spectrums. The deep red pigment found in tomatoes and watermelon contains the antioxidant lycopene, for example. The deep orange color found in cantaloupe and sweet potatoes provides beta carotene.
- Enjoy whole grains. The recently release 2015-2200 Dietary Guidelines, as in previous editions, suggest that half of our grains be whole grains. Healthful whole grains include brown rice, whole wheat bread, and oatmeal.
- Include plant based proteins such as beans, nuts, and legumes. They not only give you protein, but they have an added bonus as they are chock full of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Try new foods. A huge assortment of whole foods are available to us. But we often get into a rut and stick with the usual fare. Give a new food a try and savor the flavor. You may actually love it!
Bonus Tip: Spring is coming, so use this as an opportunity to get more active and take advantage of outdoor activities such as walking and bike riding.
Don’t forget to download 10 Ways to Savor the Flavor of Eating Right!
Lisa R. Young, PhD, RD is a nutritionist in private practice, author of The Portion Teller Plan, and adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University. Her website and blog can be found at www.portionteller.com.
I'm Jill, and I believe simple changes in your mindset and health habits can bring life-changing rewards. And I don't believe in willpower. It's waaaay overrated. As a food-loving registered dietitian nutritionist, certified diabetes care and education specialist and certified health and wellness coach, I've helped thousands of people solve their food and nutrition problems. If you're looking for a better way to master this whole healthy eating/healthy living thing or if you're trying to prevent or manage diabetes or heart problems, you'll find plenty of resources right here.
Leave a Reply
Welcome to my Blog
Hi there! I'm Jill, a nutrition & diabetes expert and the author of 4 books.
I believe simple changes in health habits can bring you life-changing rewards.
And I believe willpower is way overrated.
Right here is where you can discover the mindset and habits to stick with healthy lifestyle choices most of the time - and drop the guilt when you don't.