Healthy Triple Orange Lentil Salad Recipe
I adore lentils! But you know that if you’ve been reading my blog or following me on social media. And I love this healthy Triple Orange Lentil Salad recipe that I created for Food & Nutrition magazine and the Florida Department of Citrus. My task was to develop something tasty and nutritious that uses Florida orange juice. Easy peasy!
You’ll find the full recipe on the Stone Soup blog of Food & Nutrition magazine. The ingredients include lentils, OJ, oranges, carrots, avocado, mint and an olive oil-based dressing with sweet spices. Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? And it is!
Why I love this triple orange lentil salad recipe
- Nutritious and delicious – duh!
- The mint, citrus, cinnamon and cardamom make the flavors bright like summer! But feel free to enjoy it any time of year.
- It multi-tasks as a salad, wrap filling and even an appetizer.
- It fits really well with a Mediterranean diet.
- The vitamin C in the citrus aids in absorption of the iron in the lentils.
- It’s super heart-healthy:
- We’ve got blood pressure-friendly potassium in the OJ and fresh orange.
- The viscous fibers in the lentils and the oranges help to lower both cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Folate and hesperidin in citrus benefit the heart.
- Both avocado and extra virgin olive oil give us monounsaturated fats and important phytonutrients.
- My carb counters can enjoy a 1/2-cup serving for only 19 grams of carbohydrate, and 6 of those grams are fiber!
- Some of that fiber is resistant starch.
- It’s a fun and different way to get a serving of pulses, which are the edible seeds within the legume pod. Lentils are a quick option because they don’t need soaking before cooking.
Let me know what you think of this healthy lentil salad.
Cheers to happy, healthy eating!
Jill Weisenberger, MS, RDN, CDE, CHWC, FAND, is a Nutrition, Culinary & Diabetes Expert, Wellcoach®-certified health and wellness coach, Freelance Writer, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Educator. She's also the author of four books, including a best-seller. She's a nationally-recognized media expert in high demand for print and online interviews, as well as corporate and one-on-one nutritional counseling. Jill's philosophy is that nutrition science should be understandable, realistic and oh so delicious.
Leave a Reply
Welcome to my Blog
Like most of my patients and clients, I lead a busy life. You probably do too. Fortunately, you don’t need weeks, days or even hours to start living better and healthier. This blog offers timesaving strategies and bite-sized nutrition and health information. Come by often for tips and inspiration to healthy living – no matter how busy you are. I am a registered dietitian nutritionist offering credible, practical nutrition advice to keep busy people healthy. Yes indeed, we can be both busy and healthy.