Healthy Triple Orange Lentil Salad Recipe
I adore lentils! But you know that if you’ve been reading my blog or following me on social media. And I love this healthy Triple Orange Lentil Salad recipe that I created for Food & Nutrition magazine and the Florida Department of Citrus. My task was to develop something tasty and nutritious that uses Florida orange juice. Easy peasy!
You’ll find the full recipe on the Stone Soup blog of Food & Nutrition magazine. The ingredients include lentils, OJ, oranges, carrots, avocado, mint and an olive oil-based dressing with sweet spices. Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? And it is!
Why I love this triple orange lentil salad recipe
- Nutritious and delicious – duh!
- The mint, citrus, cinnamon and cardamom make the flavors bright like summer! But feel free to enjoy it any time of year.
- It multi-tasks as a salad, wrap filling and even an appetizer.
- It fits really well with a Mediterranean diet.
- The vitamin C in the citrus aids in absorption of the iron in the lentils.
- It’s super heart-healthy:
- We’ve got blood pressure-friendly potassium in the OJ and fresh orange.
- The viscous fibers in the lentils and the oranges help to lower both cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Folate and hesperidin in citrus benefit the heart.
- Both avocado and extra virgin olive oil give us monounsaturated fats and important phytonutrients.
- My carb counters can enjoy a 1/2-cup serving for only 19 grams of carbohydrate, and 6 of those grams are fiber!
- Some of that fiber is resistant starch.
- It’s a fun and different way to get a serving of pulses, which are the edible seeds within the legume pod. Lentils are a quick option because they don’t need soaking before cooking.
Let me know what you think of this healthy lentil salad.
Cheers to happy, healthy eating!
I'm Jill, and I believe simple changes in your mindset and health habits can bring life-changing rewards. And I don't believe in willpower. It's waaaay overrated. As a food-loving registered dietitian nutritionist, certified diabetes care and education specialist and certified health and wellness coach, I've helped thousands of people solve their food and nutrition problems. If you're looking for a better way to master this whole healthy eating/healthy living thing or if you're trying to prevent or manage diabetes or heart problems, you'll find plenty of resources right here.
Leave a Reply
Welcome to my Blog
Hi there! I'm Jill, a nutrition & diabetes expert and the author of 4 books.
I believe simple changes in health habits can bring you life-changing rewards.
And I believe willpower is way overrated.
Right here is where you can discover the mindset and habits to stick with healthy lifestyle choices most of the time - and drop the guilt when you don't.