Don’t you just love an easy baked salmon recipe? You know, one that’s good for family dinner, company dinner or a solo dinner. Salmon is one of my go-to fish choices because it’s readily available, versatile, nutritious and super easy to prepare.
I created this recipe a bit by accident. On a recent date night to dinner and the theater, my husband and I enjoyed the salmon special at a local restaurant. Our server told us that it was prepared with a burr rub that included smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin and brown sugar. I wanted to recreate it at home, so I searched burr rub online. The Internet gave me zilch, so I went to work on this recipe from memory.
Baked Salmon with Pizazz
There must have been some other herbs or spices in the original recipe because my dish tasted nothing like what we ate in the restaurant. Absolutely nothing! And while my salmon creation wasn’t terrible, it lacked pizazz. A few bites in, I declared that this salmon is begging for orange zest. And I was right. The following week, a sweet, spicy and orange-y easy baked salmon was born.
So while the flavors are nothing like the salmon recipe that we devoured on date night, I’m thrilled with the result. You’ll want to keep this easy baked salmon recipe in your menu rotation and to serve to company.
To learn about farmed salmon, check out my post My Fascinating Day on a Norwegian Fish Farm.
And if you want to cook once and eat twice – and who doesn’t – save a piece to eat over arugula or whatever are your favorite salad greens. Then check off your quota of at least two fish meals weekly.
The brown sugar and oranges make this salmon recipe sweet. At the same time, chili powder adds a pleasant kick.
- 1.5 pounds salmon fillet or 4 smaller fillets
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- grated orange peel from 1 large orange (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 large orange, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the salmon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Prepare the rub by mixing the first 7 ingredients together (brown sugar through orange peel). Spread it on the salmon. Place the orange slices on top.
- Bake about 20 - 25 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.