It’s strange to say, but I met the amazing Robyn Webb on Twitter. Shortly after I joined Twitter a few years ago, we shared a few posts and found that we had several things in common: love of healthful, delicious food; writing; working with people with diabetes; and many more things too.
A few months later, when we were both at a professional conference, Robyn generously invited me to dinner. We’ve been friends ever since. For my National Salad Month series, Robyn shares this delightful whole grain-based dish. If you haven’t yet experimented with freekeh, here’s the recipe to get you started.
- 4 servings
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup freekeh
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, patted dry and torn
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, washed, patted dry torn into bite sized pieces
- 5 red radishes, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded radicchio
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
Lemon Thyme Dressing
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh lemon thyme( or use regular thy,e)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup walnut oil ( or use olive oil)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Garnish:1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
- In a 3 quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the freekeh and salt bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain any excess water. Add the freekeh to a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the watercress,romaine, radishes, radicchio, tomatoes and red onion. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Lemon Thyme Dressing ingredients. Toss the freekeh with half the dressing. Add the other half of dressing to the radicchio radish mixture and toss. On individual plates, add the salad. Top with the freekeh and garnish with walnuts.