National Salad Month | Arugula & Caramelized Fennel Salad with Toasted Breadcrumbs
This creative salad was created by Kara Lydon, RD, LDN, RYT, a nutrition coach, consultant, yoga teacher and food bloggger at TheFoodie Dietitian. Several months ago, I sat next to Kara at a professional meeting. She was very busy on her computer during breaks. One glance at her computer and I was her fan. She was reviewing a series of photographs – mouthwatering photographs! And all were of recipes that she both created and photographed. And now, we are lucky to have her Arugula & Caramelized Fennel Salad with Toasted Breadcrumbs for my National Salad Month series.
- 1 bulb fennel, halved and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 16 Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers (1/2 sleeve)
- 1 bunch arugula (roughly 4 cups)
- 1/4 c shaved pecorino romano
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- Juice of one lemon (2 tbsp)
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp of sea salt
- 1/8 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss fennel with 1 tbsp oil, salt, and pepper, and place onto baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until fennel is caramelized. Let fennel cool to room temperature.
- Add the Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed (yield: roughly 3/4 cup crumbs). Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add crumbs and stir frequently until crumbs are golden brown and crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add arugula, fennel, and cheese to a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Before serving, top with breadcrumbs and fennel fronds for garnish.
I'm Jill, and I believe simple changes in your mindset and health habits can bring life-changing rewards. And I don't believe in willpower. It's waaaay overrated. As a food-loving registered dietitian nutritionist, certified diabetes care and education specialist and certified health and wellness coach, I've helped thousands of people solve their food and nutrition problems. If you're looking for a better way to master this whole healthy eating/healthy living thing or if you're trying to prevent or manage diabetes or heart problems, you'll find plenty of resources right here.
Leave a Reply
Welcome to my Blog
Hi there! I'm Jill, a nutrition & diabetes expert and the author of 4 books.
I believe simple changes in health habits can bring you life-changing rewards.
And I believe willpower is way overrated.
Right here is where you can discover the mindset and habits to stick with healthy lifestyle choices most of the time - and drop the guilt when you don't.