This creative salad was created by Kara Lydon, RD, LDN, RYT, a nutrition coach, consultant, yoga teacher and food bloggger at TheFoodie Dietitian. Several months ago, I sat next to Kara at a professional meeting. She was very busy on her computer during breaks. One glance at her computer and I was her fan. She was reviewing a series of photographs – mouthwatering photographs! And all were of recipes that she both created and photographed. And now, we are lucky to have her Arugula & Caramelized Fennel Salad with Toasted Breadcrumbs for my National Salad Month series.
- 1 bulb fennel, halved and cut into ½ inch wedges
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ⅛tsp sea salt
- ⅛tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 16 Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers (1/2 sleeve)
- 1 bunch arugula (roughly 4 cups)
- ¼c shaved pecorino romano
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- Juice of one lemon (2 tbsp)
- ¼c extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛tsp of sea salt
- ⅛tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss fennel with 1 tbsp oil, salt, and pepper, and place onto baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until fennel is caramelized. Let fennel cool to room temperature.
- Add the Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax crackers to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed (yield: roughly ¾ cup crumbs). Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add crumbs and stir frequently until crumbs are golden brown and crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add arugula, fennel, and cheese to a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Before serving, top with breadcrumbs and fennel fronds for garnish.