- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 12 ounces butternut squash, cubed
- 1 4-inch piece lemongrass, smashed slightly with a knife
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added, undrained
- 4 cups vegetable broth look for lower sodium varieties
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry farro
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt or other plain strained yogurt of choice
Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onion and carrots until slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
Add the butternut squash, lemongrass, ginger and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook about 2 minutes.
Add the undrained tomatoes, broth and chickpeas. Increase the heat to bring the contents to a boil. Add the farro and stir. Reduce the heat to medium low to allow the stew to cook at a soft boil. Cooked covered for about 30 minutes. Stir now and then.
Serve with basil and yogurt.
Serving: 1.75cup | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 650mg | Fiber: 12g