- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (~ 1 1/2 cups)
- 10 ounces cremini or other favorite mushrooms sliced (~ 3 cups)
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, trimmed of the the woody parts and cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces (~ 9 ounces trimmed)
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbles
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Cook the diced onions for 5 to 6 minutes or until they are golden and slightly browned on the edges. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the asparagus, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Stir and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas, stir and cook until heated.
Divide the chickpeas and vegetables into 4 bowls. Serve with brown rice, quinoa, farro or any favorite whole grain.
Sprinkle 1/2-ounce feta cheese over each dish.
Serving: 11/4 cups | Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 550mg | Fiber: 8g