- 4 medium zucchini or yellow squash (about 40 ounces untrimmed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (about 1/2 ounce)
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Grate the squash using a food processor or a box grater. Place the grated squash in a colander and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix the squash and salt together and leave to drain for 30 - 45 minutes. Once drained, remove the remaining liquid by pressing the squash between several layers of paper towels. Then place the squash in a large salad or mixing bowl.
Add the cherry tomatoes, red onion and fresh basil to the bowl and mix.
To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together, adding the olive oil last. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well. Refrigerate until chilled.
Add the Parmesan cheese and the toasted pistachios before serving.
Serving: 3/4 cup | Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Fiber: 2g